100 Years of Commitment to Children: Change and Continuity

Author: Foundation for Child Development / January 1, 2001

FCD was incorporated as a voluntary agency in New York in 1899, and established as the Association for the Aid of Crippled Children (AACC) in 1908. Voluntary contributions from the public supported AACC until 1944, when substantial funds were received from the estate of Milo M. Belding to honor his wife, Annie K. Belding.

In recognition of its evolving program and of its status as a grantmaking organization, the Association changed its name in 1972 to the Foundation for Child Development. In 1999, FCD celebrated its centennial. Read more about our story in 100 Years of Commitment to Children: Change and Continuity and in Our Basic Dream.